Sunday, September 4, 2011

Publishing 101

I'm putting together a proposal package for a publisher. It's a very interesting experience to switch your brain from creating the work, researching and fact-checking. I have to see myself and my product as a third person observer. I have to ask myself, why should anyone care? Who wants to read this book? The usual writer's doubts start to surface. Sure I've scoffed at other published books, I can't believe this crap made it all the way through to a store's shelf. Now I'm poised on the edge of (hopefully) becoming one of those books that reviewers and critics may praise or despise. Have I put enough sparkle into my narrative, so it isn't dull? Have I integrated the facts appropriately?

Has my research uncovered absolutely everything there is about Jack and Blanquita? Obviously not, because just yesterday I put 2 books on hold through Link+ at my local public library. Every time I think I'm done, another title pops up. Is Google doing this just to torture me?


No comments:

Post a Comment