Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Sources, Sources, Sources

Sure I could borrow photographs and images that I see floating around the internet. Pinterest! Wikipedia! Other blogs! But I have a code of ethics and I don't do that. If I can't cite the source, if I can't verify it's public domain, or if I can't get an affirmative permission from the copyright owner, I don't use it.

My book is in the home stretch -- the final week before it launches into the world. Here are 3 more photos that won't make it into the book because I could not find the source until this morning.

Miss Joan Sawyer was a nightclub owner, a suffragette, and an exhibition ballroom dancer in New York City. She is said to be the "other woman" who broke up Jack and Blanca's marriage. But is that really the whole story? I have some theories about that.

Today while browsing the Library of Congress archives online, as I often do on a Tuesday morning, I stumbled across an instructional manual on various trendy dance steps. The one-step and the maxixe are being demonstrated in photographs by the celebrity dancers of the day. Guess who is among them? Yup.





I've seen these photos of Joan Sawyer floating around on other blogs. Heck, I've used one in an earlier blog post here. I never knew the exact source. I could never verify the citation and, without that, I did not use them in my upcoming book. Well, that's OK. I have 34 illustrations already!


Hopkins, J. S. The Tango and Other Up-To-Date Dances a Practical Guide to All the Latest Dances, Tango, One Step, Innovation, Hesitation, Etc. [The Saal eld Publishing Co., Chicago, monographic, 1914] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/14010455/. (Accessed July 25, 2017.)

No comments:

Post a Comment